Monday, January 10, 2011

Curduroy Pants to Skirt, TUTORIAL and LINKY PARTY!

Wednesdays at Seamingly Smitten
Linky Party #4
Sew it off and Show it off!
Repurposed - My Old Curduroys into A Little Girl's Skirt

I've been reading so many blog posts about repurposing clothes, but I had never tackled a project like this until now. After cleaning out my closet I realized how much free fabric was in there! I thought a quick project would be turning my old curduroys into a skirt for my little girl and another for my niece.
Catherine said "Ta-Da!"
She loved showing off her new skirt and twirled around to prove it!

Mini Tutorial:
1. I basically laid out my curduroy pants and cut off the legs to the height I wanted the skirt and added 2 inches for the elastic casing...So I cut 12 inches up from the bottom of the pant legs.
2. The bottom was already hemmed (time-saver!) so I cut open each leg at one of the seams and had 2 pieces that laid flat.
3. Place pieces right sides together and cut into the shape I needed for the skirt (10 inches wide at the waist and A-line shape). Sew up the sides.
4. Then I made a 1 inch fold along the top then folded it again and sewed all around the waist - leaving room the the elastic to be inserted.
5. I inserted the elastic and sewed the hole closed.
And I thought it needed a pocket detail and a big button. Done!


And below is skirt #2 I made for my 4 year-old niece with the remaining fabric. I even cut around my old pocket, pinned it onto her new skirt and sewed all around. It makes a hand-made skirt look a little more professional, don't you think? :) Now it's your turn!
You've SEWED IT OFF, now SHOW IT OFF!
Linky Party #4
Rules:
1. Show off something you've made. Link to the specific post on your blog.
2. Become a follower or grab my Seamingly Smitten button and put it in your blog post or sidebar so others can join!
3. Look around some of the other links people have posted and leave some linky love comments.
Come back next Wednesday to see some of my favorites and linky up again!

4 comments:

amy@flexibledreams said...

Thanks for inviting me to join your link party!

FYI: Your email address is not enabled on your blogger account so no one can reply to your comments. Might want to turn that on :-)

Bethany @ Our 4 Sons Plus 1...Super Cute Girly Girl said...

Thanks so much for your sweet comment! I'd love to link up...and I can't wait to come back and visit when I have a little more time- your blog looks fantastic! :)

Bethany @ Our 4 Sons Plus 1...Super Cute Girly Girl said...

Oh, PS, that skirt is to die for, and your little girl is just precious!

Unknown said...

Super cute, like the little one herself. Plus I love her sweater too. Jen