Friday, July 30, 2010

Frock with Pleated Neckline

I enjoy reading the blog http://www.madebylex.com/ She is so very talented and I wanted to try to make a dress like hers that has sleeves - but loose and relaxed sleeves - and without pockets.

Here is the dress she made that also inspired me!
http://www.madebylex.com/2010/04/the-flea-market-frock.html

Lex had posted a brief tutorial on how to make a t-shirt here: http://www.madebylex.com/2010/05/loose-fitted-t-shirt-tutorial.html#more-1771
I used the inspiration from the dress she made and the t-shirt tutorial to create this dress, then smocked the waistline. (I used a dress I had as a pattern - just traced around it and added an inch all around. Next time I won't add as much around the neckline.)
The neckline came out way too big, so I ended up pleating it and I think it adds a little character to what would have been a very simple dress.
It's very lightweight
and perfect for something quick to
throw on with heels
and go out to dinner!

Here's the back view: (no zipper)

I'm going to be making a brown one next, but I want to add embroidered detailing to make the neckline more interesting. More to come...

7 comments:

Andrea from The Train To Crazy said...

Love this!! Looks fabulous!

Jan said...

Great dress! Yes, the pleated neckline really adds a punch!

Amy said...

Cute dress!! I love the stuff Lex makes! you did a great job. The pleates really set off the dress! Thanks for sharing!

Happy Mom's Daily said...

This one is so creative! I always have the HARDEST time finding dresses that are long enough, because a "knee-high" is about 4 inches too short for me (and bending over all day chasing my son just doesn't work with a mini anymore, lol). But you've shown me how easy it would be to just make my own! Thanks for the inspiration =)

Bonnie Weeks said...

It looks great! I actually like yours better than hers because of the sleeves and neckline.

Unknown said...

I love this dress. Thank you for taking the time to link up all the steps used to create it. I can't wait to give it a try ;)

Anonymous said...

I like the helpful information you provide in your articles.
I will bookmark your weblog and check again here frequently.
I'm quite sure I'll learn a lot of new stuff right here!
Good luck for the next!

Also visit my weblog - cash advance modesto ca